Tae kwon do is an excellent martial art for kids and adults since it instills self-confidence, self-defense, and can help you stay healthy. There are so many other benefits as well, such as helping you to feel more grounded, calmer, more clarity of mind, and will be able to focus on and complete tasks better. Those who follow the path of martial arts can be more successful and driven than those who are sedentary. How does tae kwon do instill all of this within a person?
The tenets of tae kwon do are the very foundation. They focus on the positive development of the person as a whole, helping you to become a positive influence in your own life, and in those around you.
People who study and practice tae kwon do are taught the following codes of conduct and it’s recommended that they be memorized.
Tenets of Tae Kwon Do
Courtesy at all times will help build noble character and these fundamentals should be practiced:
- Bow to the flag, instructors and fellow students.
- Address the instructor as Sir or Ma'am.
- Be early for class.
- Be polite to one another.
- Behave according to etiquette.
- Encourage a sense of justice and humanity.
- Respect others possessions.
- Handle situations with fairness and sincerity.
- Promote a spirit of mutual concessions.
Perseverance is created through patience and determination. You need to be patient yet determined to follow your goals. As an example, you don’t want to give up before perfecting your kicks and forms.
Self-Control needs to be followed in the dojang and in all areas of life. If you lose control while sparring it could result in injury. Losing self-control in other areas of life can have negative consequences as well, especially if you’re in a position of having to defend yourself.
Indomitable Spirit is the union of modesty and honesty. It means you won’t tolerate injustice, and will face any offenders without hesitation or fear, regardless of who or how many it may be.
The Student Oath
- I shall observe the tenets of tae kwon do
- I shall respect the instructors and seniors
- I shall never misuse tae kwon do
- I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
- I shall build a more peaceful world
- Be loyal to your country
- Honor your parents
- Be faithful to your spouse
- Be on good terms with your siblings
- Be loyal to your friends
- Be respectful of your elders
- Respect and trust your teachers
- Never take life unjustly
- Never retreat in battle
- Finish what you start